Saturday, November 17, 2012

Antique Shop Spotlight: Hell House Studios

Welcome to our Antique Shop Spotlight.  For our third installment, we have Hell House Studios by Morgaine Christensen.  I recently just met Morgaine and her work, but it is among the best I ahve seen.  Her work encompasses more than just furniture.  She also designs clothing and does sim design work.  If you are like me, you will be enchantted by her recent Victorian Christmas village!





What is your inspiration when building your items?
My siblings and I were raised by my grandmother. There wasn't much money to be had when I was growing up and we made do with what we had. Much of the furniture was hand-me-downs from family and friends and dated back to the late 1890 or early 1900s. We didn't think of them as "antiques" or "historical pieces"; they were just normal, everyday Items. It wasn't till later in life I figured out what we used daily were collector's pieces.
When I make things, I look back to my childhood and see the pieces we used. Or, some memory of old houses, from the country seat we lived, creep into my mind and brings back fond memories. I think that is where I get my inspiration for many things related to antique items, which are very hard to find in SL. I also have a real life passion for items from the Depression Era in the US instilled by my father.



What is it that you hope to invoke in your customers when building?
I am not really sure. I love to create for the sake of creating in SL. I suppose I hope to invoke a sense of history and appreciation of our ancestors. Honestly, in studying history, the trials and tribulations prior generations overcame to get us where we are today is just mind-boggling. It is amazing we are here to appreciate it their contributions to the world.
So, I think, if what I make, can connect each of us to our past and stop occasionally to take a deep breath, slow down, relax, and just be for a few moments then all my efforts are worth it.



Why do you focus on the particular style? Why antiques?
I like antiques. From my RL perusal, they have style and character. Most items are well built and indeed show a high level of craftsmanship that seems to be unknown today. Today, I think what is made is simply for a job. Little feelings or pride seems to shine from most items today. It's like everything made is simply disposable not something to be cherished and passed on to our children or, children's children as was done in the past.

What would be your personal favorite piece in your store? Why?

I really don't have a favorite piece. All my pieces are favorites. I can look at each piece and see where I was and where I am now. Each pieces tells a story of the knowledge and skills I have gained through my time in Second Life.
I have learned to build with prims, sculpts and create mesh. I have acquired knowledge and skills of how to use Photoshop to make my own textures or alter the ones I buy from some truly superb graphic artists to fit a particular project.
I am learning Blender and another mesh software. Creating scripts fails me, but I have gained knowledge and the appreciation of those can can script. I can animate objects so they function for the pleasure of my customers. I am looking creating my own animations in the near future for specific projects since what I want and need are not readily available at this time.
So all my creations are my favorites, even the old bad ones. They remind me of how priceless Second Life is allowing every Resident here to gain skills and knowledge and create such a fantastic world. We are not limited to what some game designer thinks we would like. We have choices here to create our own reality.


If you could choose a time period in which to live, what would it be and why?
While I love the Victorian era for it's complex building elements and genuine character, I would really have to chose to live in Ancient Egypt at the height of the Pharaohs. I think it was a period of time where the world exploded with the gathering of knowledge and the preserving of it pressing outward so understand our world.

What are some ways you strive for excellent customer service?
I try to listen to my customers. really listen to them. I try to understand their issues, and do my damnedest to make sure they are happy with my products. Generally, it is just little things that are causing the problem. Most are not builders and just need a little help understanding something, or even just to vent. Sometimes, they misread the description or had different expectations of a product. Customer contact is very important. You learn from each instance.

If you take the time to listen, you will become a better more thoughtful builder. Or, if is something that I have done wrong on my part or ,Second Life has "helped" me , I will do my best to correct the item, send them a new one, redeliver to anyone else that has bought the item and gift the customer with a token of my appreciation for helping me find the issue.


One of the questions earlier was about what my current favorite piece is, and I said all my pieces are my favorites. But I do have a current build I have done, besides just creating items to sell, I am also an RP sim creator. I love to make wonderful environments.
Because I am fortunate in RL at this time to have a job that allows me to own a sim, albeit an adult sim, I offer merchants space in the shopping village to sell their wares along with my space without the worry of having to rent. Some are new merchants trying their hand at creating, while others are old hands at it. I believe in sharing what I have, while I have it, to benefit others. There may come I time I can't but for now....
My current project has been for myself. I have newly created a permanent shopping area based on Victorian buildings for shop space for a variety of merchants. All the buildings currently in The Village were created by Koshari Mahana of Four Winds -Four Directions fame. I purchased these several years ago and when I went looking for other items recently, I was saddened to learn Koshari is perhaps no longer in SL and Four Winds out of business.
Koshari Mahana is very talented and creative with a wonderful eye for detail. I am not sure, but I believe either she made her own textures or had a resource that made her builds very special and detailed, especially if you are in love with Victorian style. Even if you have no desire to buy anything, please do stop by The Village and see Koshari's builds. They are simply an inspiration to look at.